If the consequences cannot be avoided, let’s try to at least minimize them.
First of all, it is necessary to distinguish between two syndromes, popularly called “hangover”.
Postintoxication syndrome. It occurs after drinking large doses of alcohol in those who generally do not suffer from alcohol dependence. Nausea, vomiting, weakness, sweating, severe throbbing headaches, especially in the occipital region, palpitations, diarrhea, and so on.
hangover syndrome – the fate of alcoholics. An extremely serious condition, manifested by a violation of a number of body functions. The above symptoms are aggravated by a violation of the liver (pain in the right hypochondrium, lack of appetite, a feeling of bitterness in the mouth), pancreas (girdle pain in the abdomen, fetid diarrhea or intestinal atony). With many days of alcohol consumption, brain disorders are often noted, manifested by the development of depression, often the development of fear, especially aggravated by loud sounds or the unexpected appearance of moving objects in the field of view. Unlike the post-intoxication syndrome, with a hangover syndrome there is always an irresistible desire to drink more. Sometimes, during the development of a hangover syndrome, alcoholic psychosis begins, or “delirious tremens” – a serious mental illness that needs treatment in a psychiatric hospital.
Where does a hangover come from?
This is due to the hygroscopicity and hygrophilicity of alcohol. He strives to where there is the most water, and, concentrating in this place, begins to attract water to himself. It just so happens that the largest percentage of fluid in our brain. Alcohol begins to concentrate there, leading to swelling or swelling. The causes of headache are thus obvious. As a rule, the cause of death when drinking large doses of alcohol is not alcohol poisoning, but death from cerebral edema.
In addition to the brain, alcohol is concentrated in the spaces between the cells of the body, which leads to tissue edema and, worst of all, to a decrease in the volume of circulating blood in the bloodstream: it draws its liquid part onto itself. The blood thickens, it is difficult for the heart to “push” it through the vessels – here you have a heartbeat and the formation of blood clots of various localization.
How to avoid a hangover
Almost every adult has experience of drinking alcohol and knows at what dose he experiences mild euphoria and an increase in mood, and what is fraught with loss of control and deterioration of well-being. Control yourself.
- Take some alcohol (30-50 g) before the feast. Due to this, the enzyme systems of the liver are launched, which are responsible for the metabolism of alcohol. The body will come to combat readiness, the load of alcohol will not be so dangerous for it. This advice is relevant for those whose enzyme reserves are not depleted, but is not suitable for those who have them initially low due to genetic characteristics, or those who drink often.
- move more. Movement sharply accelerates metabolic processes, which contributes to the rapid breakdown of alcohol, utilization and removal of its metabolites from the body.
- Drink more clean water. You can dilute wine with water. You remember: alcohol goes where there is the most water. Fill your bladder.
- Prefer champagne to vodka. It’s New Year’s after all! And in general, carbonated alcoholic drinks are less dangerous than strong ones. The percentage of alcohol in them is low, but due to the presence of carbon dioxide, they are absorbed faster, respectively, and intoxication occurs faster. If you stop in time, it will pass just as quickly. But if you constantly support yourself with additional doses of wine, you can get alcohol withdrawal the next day.
How to treat a hangover
- Treatment is aimed at eliminating disorders associated with blood circulation. Among the people, to relieve post-intoxication and hangover, they often used saline solutions formed during sauerkraut and cucumbers. In addition to potassium and magnesium salts, there is a lot of vitamin C in the brine, which helps to reduce capillary permeability and does not allow the liquid part of the blood to “run away”.
- Black activated carbon, like any adsorbent, can absorb some of the toxins from the intestinal cavity. However, for this, two or three tablets are not enough, they need to drink twenty to twenty-five pieces. But even in this case, this method is not very effective.
- All drugs advertised as a means of relieving hangover symptoms can only be effective in the case of post-toxication syndrome, that is, they do not help those who are already addicted to alcohol. They also contain salts, various sorbents (to remove toxins), a lot of vitamin C – in fact, these are drugs of complex action.
- Drink more water and go to the toilet more often – so the breakdown products of alcohol will quickly leave the body.
- You can take anti-inflammatory non-steroidal drugs, they eliminate pain symptoms, even out electrolyte balance, and help get out of a state of toxicity. Take any medication you need in the morning! In the evening, after an overload of alcohol, there is a risk of drinking the wrong thing and the wrong amount. In addition, even conventional non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs taken against the background of severe alcohol intoxication, when the load on the liver is already very high, can cause the development of toxic hepatitis.
In general, the advice about “knowing the norm” remains universal and most reliable.
Photo: shutterstock.com, istockphoto.com
Alcohol without consequences
The Real Story: “I Go to Alcoholics Anonymous”