Health Tips

Modest russula, cheerful chanterelles, “king-mushrooms” – mushrooms, democratic champignons, delicious truffles – mushrooms have long entered our lives and over time only strengthen their positions.

Mushrooms are a source of protein. But in fact, to meet their protein needs, a person should eat 1-2 kg of mushrooms daily. So Mushrooms are a valuable but additional source of protein.

Mushrooms also contain a huge amount of minerals (potassium, phosphorus, sulfur, magnesium, sodium, calcium, chlorine), vitamins (A, groups B, C, PP and D) and enzymes that accelerate the breakdown of proteins, fats and carbohydrates and thereby contribute to better absorption of food.

In ancient times, not a single doctor could do without mushrooms: tinder fungus was used for tuberculosis, chanterelles – to expel worms, veselka and are now used for diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Modern scientists have proven that mushrooms are able to heal and have developed drugs based on them.

For example, the Japanese meitake mushroom (or geisha mushroom) helps in the treatment of various forms of female ailments and contributes to significant weight loss. Shiitake is used in immunology and oncology, as well as in cosmetology – products based on it help fight wrinkles.

Oyster mushrooms (cultivated mushrooms) lower blood cholesterol levels.

Mushrooms help prevent atherosclerosis. In addition, it is believed that not only shiitake, but also most of the mushrooms known to us have an anti-cancer effect. The main thing is not to subject them to freezing or heat treatment, but to dry or salt them raw, then this healing property will be preserved.

And yet, mushrooms are a product that requires caution.

And it’s not just poisonous mushrooms. There are several rules and facts that everyone who loves mushrooms needs to know.

  • Edible mushrooms (both wild and cultivated) contain substances characteristic of animal tissues. In summer, especially hot, with rare rains, the concentration of “animal” substances increases, and the edible mushroom becomes essentially poisonous.

  • In mushrooms, there are several toxic principles: muscaridine, bufotein. Doses of toxins that are harmless to an adult organism become fatal for a child.

  • Mushrooms, by virtue of their nature, truly absorb EVERYTHING from the environment. Especially – salts of heavy metals and other gifts of our unfavorable ecology.

  • The mushrooms of this season are not at all similar to those that grew in the same forest and in the same clearing last year. The main composition of substances and appearance remained the same, but the ratio and concentration of biologically active and toxic substances have changed.

  • The most severe poisoning summer mushrooms. In second place in terms of danger are autumn mushrooms.

  • Not all poisonous mushroom toxins that accumulate in edible mushrooms are eliminated by digestion, soaking, drying or preservation. Even mushrooms processed in this way cannot be safe for children.

  • In old mushrooms (and in those remaining for processing on another day after collection), decomposition products of protein and fatty substances appear. Therefore, quite edible mushrooms can be poisoned.

To prevent this from happening, you must follow the following rules:

  • Do not pick old, wormy, eaten or soaked in water after long rains and moldy mushrooms. They are completely unsuitable for food; it is possible that the process of protein decomposition has already begun in them.

  • Do not collect mushrooms that appeared after the first frost.

  • Do not use bags or bags that do not allow air to collect mushrooms – the mushrooms are heated in them under the influence of the metabolic process. This speeds up the process of protein degradation.

  • Only mushrooms that have “spent the night” in a well-sealed container in the refrigerator can be reheated the next day. Do not cook or store them in metal containers (except stainless steel). But it is best not to store mushrooms, but to cook and consume them right there.

  • The smaller the mushrooms are cut, the less they burden the stomach. Whole mushroom caps can only be eaten by healthy adults. Mushrooms are digested even longer than meat.

Mushrooms need good heat treatment. A lot of mushrooms, insufficiently boiled or fried, lead to disruption of the stomach and intestines, or even to poisoning. There are only a few types of mushrooms that can be eaten raw.

Rate article
( No ratings yet )
Add a comment