Many resigned themselves to such a state as a necessary evil. Meanwhile, people of science are constantly thinking about you, and in our time, unpleasant symptoms during menstruation can and should be overcome.
According to some reports, 90% of women experience pain during menstruation at least once in their lives. About 50% experience discomfort regularly. Every tenth is forced to miss from 1 to 3 days of work or study every month.
What hurts there
Statistically, algomenorrhea, perhaps, can even be considered the norm. But in fact, a condition is considered normal in which there is moderate discomfort in the lower abdomen (heaviness or sipping) on the first day of menstruation. Longer or more pronounced manifestations may indicate a serious problem. There are about two dozen reasons for this condition, and the most significant among them are endometriosis, varicose veins of the small pelvis, chronic inflammation in the small pelvis, and uterine fibroids.
Less common are anomalies in the development of the internal genital organs, adhesions in the pelvis (most often it occurs against the background of inflammatory diseases of the uterus and appendages), Allen-Masters syndrome (tear of the broad ligament of the uterus), benign and malignant diseases of the uterus and ovaries. Often the only cause of painful periods is the deviation of the uterus backwards (“bend”, or, scientifically, retroflexion of the uterus).
How is it treated
As you can see, there are many causes of algomenorrhea, and among them there are really dangerous ones. In addition, monthly suffering in itself is a sufficient reason to make efforts to overcome it.
Sometimes the situation changes for the better after childbirth or after menopause. However, in most cases, after childbirth, the pain, if it decreases, is not significant, and waiting for menopause and suffering all your life without doing anything is simply cruel to yourself.
Therefore, first of all, it is necessary to find out the cause of algomenorrhea. To do this, you should consult with a gynecologist-endocrinologist. Careful questioning, general and gynecological examination often suggest the most likely diagnosis.
Analysis of the microflora (gynecological “smear”, if necessary – PCR) will allow us to conclude that there is an inflammatory process, and ultrasound of the pelvic organs – to exclude the pathology of the uterus and ovaries.
Based on the results of the examination, the doctor will be able to prescribe treatment. As you know, the best way to get rid of the symptoms is to get rid of the underlying vomit. However, you can give a number of general recommendations that will alleviate the condition during menstruation in most cases.
How to relieve pain
If the diagnosis is not made, the treatment of the underlying disease takes time, or algomenorrhea is not associated with serious diseases, then symptomatic treatment is prescribed.
- On the days before your period, move more, try to spend less time at the computer. Walking, yoga, small physical activity contribute to the improvement of the general condition.
- Limit coffee, black tea, and smoking whenever possible.
- Apply acupressure. Stimulation of the most sensitive points on the top of the ear and in the palm between the middle and ring fingers will relieve symptoms.
Most often, doctors recommend the following groups of drugs to relieve pain:
- Painkillers. However, it is important to remember that excessive use of this group of drugs can lead to the suppression of ovulation (and hence the inability to get pregnant this month), increased bleeding – including more profuse blood loss during menstruation, stomach diseases (gastritis, ulcers) . Therefore, they can be used only according to the scheme recommended by the doctor.
- Vitamin-mineral and vegetable complexes. Preparations containing magnesium and vitamins of group B, E, as well as sacred vitex, cobalt, European cyclamen and other plant extracts, can reduce soreness. With mild forms of dysmenorrhea, these funds are enough to remove the problem.
- Hormonal contraceptives. Usually, drugs in this group are recommended in the most severe cases, after the examination and taking into account possible side effects.
It is possible and necessary to reduce monthly suffering, and it is often possible to completely overcome such a nuisance as painful periods.