Spring is a period of active awakening of nature after a long winter sleep. Quite often, the air temperature rises sharply or, conversely, falls. Forecasters also note that changes in atmospheric pressure and changes in solar activity are not uncommon.
All this affects the state of human health – diseases associated with the vessels of the brain appear or worsen. General health is deteriorating, which directly causes mental disorders, overwork, depression irritability, regular mood swings. So, is it worth contacting a psychiatrist with the onset of spring, and what specific mental illnesses are exacerbated during the drop season?
Causes of exacerbation of mental illness
Exacerbation of mental illness is associated with the following reasons:
one. Overvoltage. According to statistics, in the spring people begin to plan their financial expenses for the year. Their activity at work becomes more active, they have to work two, or even three or four times more than the usual norm. All this leads to overwork, which does not go away even after a long sleep.
Often stress at work turns into prolonged depression and stress. And these mental illnesses are already recognized as serious enough reasons for contacting a psychiatrist or psychotherapist.
2. Bad ecology. Air and water pollution negatively affects not only the physiological, but also the mental health of a person. Scientists have proven that microbes, toxins and heavy metals that enter the body are diligently “eliminated” immunity.
But in the spring this function is weakened. During the change of weather, a person is susceptible to various somatic diseases, including influenza viruses. The body seems to be exhausted in the fight against ailments, the nervous system is under tremendous stress, which can also cause depression and stress.
3. General mood in society. The ubiquitous aggressiveness, apathy, fatigue that manifests itself in the surrounding people also passes to a specific person. There are signs of fatigue, insomnia, nervous condition.
Mental health at this moment is also deteriorating because the patient tries to solve all of the above problems by drinking alcoholic beverages, taking medications (antidepressants) or narcotic substances. And this, in turn, also causes an exacerbation of mental illnesses recognized as chronic.
Who is susceptible to exacerbation of mental illness?
According to experts, everyone can survive the difficult spring time. But there is a category of people who are especially prone to stress, prolonged depression and serious mental exacerbations.
- Pensioners. This category of citizens is characterized by a depleted body (weakened immunity), which is what mental illnesses certainly “use” in the spring.
- The youth. The hormonal background of young people is unstable. Its frequent change leads to mood swings, apathy, general irritability. Signs of depression and stress appear and develop.
- Physically weakened people whose body is experiencing lack of vitamins, trace elements, minerals. Therefore, in the spring it is recommended to give up long and exhausting diets, hunger strikes and other abstinences from wholesome and healthy food.
- Specialists whose work is connected with regular communication with people (clients, partners), with control, with management. Their spring stress is explained by a frequent surge emotions which should not be present in normal activities.
Mental illnesses and their exacerbations in the spring
What specific mental illnesses are exacerbated in the spring?
1. Depression. It is caused by a weak production of certain groups of hormones during a period of change in the length of the day (spring equinox), changes in atmospheric pressure and air temperature. The causes of depression also become a huge physical load, lack of rest and constant employment.
It manifests itself in insomnia, decreased sexual activity, constant restlessness, general weakness, lack of appetite. Depression, like many types of stress, it can be treated on an outpatient basis, but under the obligatory supervision of a doctor. Otherwise, depression can become chronic.
2. Schizophrenia, neurosis, psychosis, paranoia and other diseases that are recognized as chronic. The treatment of these diseases is carried out in strict accordance with the medical conclusions of the commission of doctors. Experts will help to survive the exacerbation of chronic mental illness, so in the spring, patients often go to the clinic for prevention.
3. Exogenous mental disorders, the causes of which are alcoholism, drug addiction, dependence on drugs, the intake of toxic substances, severe radiation exposure, traumatic brain injury and other external factors.
In the spring, it is recommended to stop taking any substances that cause addiction. If possible, you need to take a break from business, go in for sports, leave the city, visit preventive institutions. Often these mental disorders serve as a “starting point” in the development of serious physiological diseases.
How to cope with the exacerbation of mental illness?
As far as possible, with the onset of spring, it is recommended to stay outdoors longer, play sports for your own pleasure, get enough sleep regularly (you need to sleep at least 8 hours a day), take a fortification course and, of course, visit a psychiatrist – psychotherapist. A preventive program is selected on an individual basis, as well as the treatment of a diagnosed chronic disease.
And in conclusion, it is only worth noting that there is no clear cyclicity in the course of mental illness. Their exacerbation depends not only on seasonality, but also on many external factors, including changes in the social, political, and economic spheres. Therefore, it is important to diagnose the disorder in time. Then any change of weather will not harm the well-being of a person.
How to fight spring depression with color
Spring beriberi: symptoms and treatment
How to stay healthy in the office?
Energy of life: what vitamins are you lacking?
How to cleanse the body after winter
How to avoid spring sore throat